Saturday 25 August 2018

Why do doubts arise?

Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, “Peace to you.” But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. And He said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” – Luke 24.36-39

I sure wish I knew that answer to this question- though I think I have an idea. ‘Why are you troubled? Why do doubts arise in your hearts?’

If Jesus were sitting here in my sitting room with me right now I am pretty sure He would be asking me the same questions. ‘What are you afraid of Roger? Why do you doubt Me?’

The problem of doubts and fears has always been around. Because we are bound by time and space we can let our circumstances override our faith and fears and doubts can enter in.

This is such a challenge for me. I do okay most of the time but every so often something pops up in my head that causes those doubts and fears. The thing is I know the source. I know the issue. Satan tells me some vile lie and my flesh gets affected then my mind gets infected and my spirit gets distracted. Doubts arise when I get my attention off of Christ, I set my affection, not on things above, but the things of this world. I forget to be thankful. I trust me more than God. I accept the Devil’s lies over God’s truth. I take my eyes off of Jesus and ‘oh that’s all it takes.’

When doubts and fear assail my mind, Lord, remind me to turn my eyes back on You.

No comments: