Tuesday 21 August 2018

Forgive them

And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
And they divided His garments and cast lots. And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God.” – Luke 23.33-35

Think about the setting here for just a minute. Jesus had been arrested unjustly. At His trial He was lied about. At His sentencing the people called for Barrabas to be released and had called for His crucifixion. He had been brutally beaten, mocked and scourged, spat on and vilified.

Finally they had taken Him out to Calvary and crucified. They had nailed Him to a cross, propped it up, and dropped it in the ground.

And what did He do? What did He say? Jesus, who could have called ten thousand angels to save Him, instead called out ‘Father, forgive them. They don’t know what they are doing.’

I know we hear this all the time, and I think that may detract from what is actually happening here. Think about it. Jesus went through all that and His response was ‘forgive them.’ It is amazing that when Stephen was martyred he said that the exact same thing.

That makes me consider how willing I am to forgive those who hurt or offend me. Is my first thought forgiveness? My first thought can too often be something like ‘poor me’ or ‘I am going to get them back.’ There are plenty of other passages backing up the notion that God’s people are to be forgivers.

Someone is sure to offend us or do something that will upset us. Can we respond with the same spirit Jesus did?

No comments: