Saturday 4 August 2018

When God ran

And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. – Luke 15.17-20

I love the song ‘When God Ran.’ I like the way Philips, Craig, and Dean sing it. Here are just a few of the lyrics.

He ran to me,
He took me in His arms,
Held my head to His chest,
Said "My son's come home again!"
Lifted my face,
Wiped the tears from my eyes,
With forgiveness in His voice He said
"Son, do you know I still love You?"
He caught me By surprise, When God ran.

This song tells the amazing story of the prodigal who left home with his s. hare of the inheritance to make his own way in the world. Sadly, he wasted his life with ‘riotous living’ and soon found himself destitute and living with the animals. He was out of options so he decided to go home, no longer worthy to be called a son, but hoping to be a servant.

Little did he know that despite what he had done and the choices he had made Dad was at home waiting for him. Not only was he waiting, but he was keeping watch. Then, while he was still of in the distance Dad saw him coming. His first thought was not to punish or reprimand this wandering son. No.

Dad ran. The father ran to his son and hugged him and rejoiced and called for a great celebration.

Jesus says that this is how God treats those who have wondered from Him. So that means that when we are away and turn to Him God runs to greet us. The only time we see God running is when He runs to greet those who repent and turn to Him. That’s how He greeted me on the day that I was saved.

That’s our Father God. Willing to forgive when we repent and running to accept and welcome us home. 

No comments: