Saturday 18 August 2018

Help my unbelief

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” – Luke 22.31-32

We are coming up quickly to the crucifixion of Christ. Jesus knew that Peter was about to deny Him. He knew the events of the next few hours. He knew that Peter’s faith would be tried and that he would be sorely tempted.

And Jesus was concerned about Peter’s faith. He prayed specifically that Peter’s faith would not fail him. During the coming hours his faith would be tried like few men’s faith would be and Jesus cared enough that He prayed about Peter’s faith. From what Jesus says here when faith fails it is because Satan is involved. Between Satan's attack and my flesh it is easy to see why faith fails.

This lets us know that Jesus cares about the faith of His followers. He cares about our faith. He is sad when our faith fails. It breaks my heart when my faith fails me. I know that I can’t please God without faith. But the point is that Jesus doesn’t want my faith to fail. He delights when I trust Him.

I do believe Lord. Please help when my faith fails me.

No comments: