Tuesday 25 October 2016

You can do everything

Then Job answered the LORD and said: "I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. - Job 42:1-2

As this marvellous book comes to a close Job, after all those chapters of dialogue, finally gets his heart sorted. Though Job had spent a long time wondering what was going on and doubting God and not seeing his place in the plan now he says the amazing words ‘I know that you can do anything and Your purposes will be accomplished.

How many times are we told in the word of God truths like this? ‘You can do everything.’ ‘Nothing is impossible with God.’ ‘For with God all things are possible.’ ‘Is anything too hard for the Lord?’

I know all that – in theory. I know and love the word of God. I know that all of these verses are true.

Why then do I still doubt God? Why then do I still fret about the future? Why then do I try to figure out how can sort all of this out?

When it comes right down to it the problem is that my faith is weak. Job rightly points out that God can do everything. Roger says ‘God can do everything – well maybe not the things I worry about. They might just be beyond Him.’

It sounds really awful when we put it there in black and white.


Do you and I really believe that God can do everything? Can He really take care of that problem or that situation or that need that we face? Can He? 

No comments: