Sunday 23 October 2016

Shut my mouth

"Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further." - Job 40:4-5

When confronted with the truths of who God was Job only had one response – ‘I will lay my hand over my mouth, I have said enough, I will say no more.’

Really though, what else could he do? God had confronted Job in a way that Job did not have answer. What would you or I say if God said to us ‘where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?’


I don’t know, but I think I might still have been stubborn enough to say a few repetitions of ‘yeah, buts’ but that would not do any good. God was right like He always is.

How many times would do well to just put my hand over my mouth and let God work. My complained is me telling Him that I know best.

I can be one of those who has a hard time just shutting up and listening. God can speak to be through His word and even though I don’t say it exactly I can have a ‘yeah, but’ attitude.


I need to just do like Job, keep my mouth shut, and let God teach me. 

No comments: