Tuesday 18 November 2014

Remember no more

" For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”" - Hebrews 8:12

Wow! I mean really wow! That is all I feel like I am able to say about a verse like this one. When I think about the pre-salvation Roger and I even think about Roger today it is hard to imagine that God’s love could be so great that He could make this promise to me. I can’t forget my sins – how could a Holy God choose to no longer remember my sins. 

God says a couple of amazing things here that make it clear how He could do it. 

‘I will be merciful to their unrighteousness’
‘Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more’

There is nothing I could do to deal with my own unrighteousness. I am totally at the mercy of God. But in Christ He provided that mercy. Christ paid the price for my  sin and His mercy overcame the depth of my sin the to point where He not only forgave my sin but He chose to no longer remember my sin. He buried our sins in the deepest sin and separated us from them as far as the east is from the west. When God sees me now He sees Jesus standing in my stead. ‘Because the sinless Saviour died my sinful is counted free. For the Just is satisfied to look on Him, forget my sins, and and pardon me.’ 

God choosing to forgive my sin is amazing. God choosing to forget is beyond my comprehension. 

And as a result of His forgiving and forgetting my sins are well and truly gone. Praise God my sins are gone!  

Gone, gone, gone, gone
Yes, my sins are gone!
Now my soul is free
And in my heart's a song!

Buried in the deepest sea
Yes, that's good enough for me!
I shall live eternally
Praise God, my sins are
G-O-N-E, Gone!

No comments: