Saturday 8 November 2014

God's living scalpel

For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. – Hebrews 4.12

The word of God is ‘quick’ and powerful. I like the old King James word ‘quick’ even if we don’t use it any more. It is just kind of a neat word that I wish we still used.

I remember when I was a child, before we knew how deadly mercury was, playing with mercury from a broken thermometer. It seemed almost alive by the way it moved and acted and clung together and broke apart. It was sometimes called ‘quicksilver’ because it acted like living silver.

Anyhow, enough of my old fashioned thinking.

The word of God is alive. It is not just some dead book, but it moves our hearts and acts on our spirits and changes our lives.

The word of God is powerful. It has the power to totally transform lives.

But I want to look at just one section today. Look here are the last part.

The word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Here I see the sword like a surgeon’s scalpel.

It is God’s word and His word alone that can cut through all the excuses and reasons and fleshly thoughts to get to the real heart of the matter. It is the one thing that can cut through all the excess and get right to the heart of the matter.

I can reason and argue with other people. I can even rationalise my actions to myself. But I can never argue with the word of God because it cuts right through to the real issues. It is the discerner of my real thoughts and intents.


May I learn to let God’s scalpel do its work in my life. 

No comments: