Thursday 27 November 2014

Now faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible." - Hebrews 11:1-3

Here is the classic verse to use when someone says ‘what is faith?’ It is great that we can quote it, but what is it really all about? 

I think the first thing we must see is what faith deals with. Faith involves ‘things hoped for’ and ‘things not seen.’ So to start with we see that faith is faith because it involves intangibles and stuff that we can’t see with our eyes or reason with our logic. If we can see it or touch it or figure it out it is not faith. 

Faith is what gives those hoped and those invisible things reality. 

It is MUCH easier to depend on my stuff, or wish I had more stuff to depend on. The reason is obvious, I can see it. 

But I also see how everything I can see is temporal. It is all passing away. It is all fragile. None of it can be depended on because all of it will fail. If that is my substance I am walking on slippery soil. 

By if faith is by substance and my evidence, even if it is unseen, it is the only thing that is not going to fail. Houses and lands and properties and bank accounts and possessions can all disappear, but God will never disappear. 

This is tough for me. I have a couple of areas where my faith really struggles. As I read this I am challenged by where I put my confidence. Lord, I do believe, but I need your help wth my unbelief. 

No comments: