Monday 10 November 2014

Confidence

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  – Hebrews 4.14-16

This has always been one of my favourite pictures of Christ. I already mentioned that He came and took on flesh so that He could help us through of trials and testings. Here we see again that He came as such a High Priest that He can sympathise and understand all of our weaknesses.

But it is the last point I want to look at today.

Because He has been through all of that for us, and because we know He has. We really can know that He knows what it is to suffer and to go through difficulties. We don’t have to wonder is He can really understand.

I like this a lot. When I go to talk to someone about something I am much more comfortable if I know they can understand. It is even better when know what it is like to go through what I am going through. When I face a struggle I can be comfortable and confident and bold in the knowledge that Jesus was ‘is all points tempted as we are’ and that He did not sin. He understands. He veiled His deity in a robe of flesh so that He could know what it feels like and I could know that He knows what it feels like.

And the result? I can obtain mercy and I can find His grace to help in times of need. He is there. He has been through it. He understands. And He will help me through His infinite mercy and His amazing grace.

If only I could learn to trust Him to do what He says He will do.

No comments: