Sunday 23 November 2014

A new covenant

" “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”" - Hebrews 10:16-17

The word ‘covenant’ is something of an old fashioned word. It is not one we normally hear in regular use. A covenant is a solemn promise that is binding. God often established covenants with His people. Sometimes these covenants were conditional where God said ‘if you do this I will do so and so.’ Sometimes they are conditional where God says ‘I am going to do this.’ 

There is no ‘if’ in this covenant.  The if has already been sorted. God speaks to those who have already put their faith and He says ‘I will make a new covenant…I will put a new law in their hearts…I will write it in their minds…I will no longer remember their sins and lawless deeds.’ 

In this new covenant God puts His law in our hearts. The new covenant is not a promise of the Law and works – it is a covenant of grace. It is not a covenant of changed works alone, but a covenant of  a new  heart.  

The Old Covenant was based on man trying to keep in line with God’s law and failing. This new and living covenant is based on what God has already done by changing my heart and changing my mind. 

If it were me I would fail, but it is not. It is God who has done the work already. Praise God for what He has done. 

No comments: