Monday 31 March 2014

Workers

Bondservants, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ; not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, with goodwill doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men, - Ephesians 6.5-7

It is hard to imagine that the Bible addresses such mundane things as how we are to act at work. True, the Bible addresses the attitude of servants to their masters, but the principle applies to anyone who is bound to his employer. If we get paid for a job we are bound to certain things.

With that background lets see what God says to workers.

First, let's explain what a bondservant is. While this may refer to slaves, it is not by any means limited to slaves. A bond servant might be someone who is service because of a debt, or someone who is contracted to labour as payment for a service provided. In a sense an contracted worker can be seen as bound by their contract, but in these days that contract may be broken by simply walking out the door.

By while we are in service to someone else there is a principle to obey.

Be obedient to your masters (bosses).

It is clear from the start that we don't obey for the sake of our boss. We obey for the cause of Christ and to be a testimony for Him. It is to be unreserved obedience with fear and trembling and sincerity and with the same dedication we would have if we were following Christ. Our service is an opportunity to show Christ to the world.

After reading 'Uncle Tom' I can't help but think of his godly testimony, even as he served under the vile Simon Legree.

 'Mas'r Legree, as ye bought me, I'll be a true and faithful servant to ye. I'll give ye all the work of my hands, all my time, all my strength; but my soul I won't give up to mortal man. I will hold on to the Lord, and put his commands before all,--die or live; you may be sure on 't. Mas'r Legree, I ain't a grain afeard to die. I'd as soon die as not. Ye may whip me, starve me, burn me,--it'll only send me sooner where I want to go." "I'll make ye give out, though, 'fore I've done!" said Legree, in a rage. "I shall have help," said Tom; "you'll never do it." "Who the devil's going to help you?" said Legree, scornfully. "The Lord Almighty," said Tom.'

While obviously a hyperbolic illustration it does remind us of the benefit of being good hard workers. We have a testimony to maintain. We don't do it to please men, or to gratify our boss. We do it because it is the will of God and we do it as though we were serving the Lord.


We ought to be the best workers in our jobs. We ought to be the hardest workers. We ought to be the most helpful and cooperative workers. We ought to act as though we were working for Christ Himself. 

No comments: