Saturday 22 March 2014

Singing

speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, - Ephesians 5.19

I am not a great singer – no, I am barely a singer at all. I am one of those people who is glad the Bible says ‘make a joyful noise unto the Lord.’

But I do like to sing, especially in church. I am in a situation where despite my lack of musical knowledge, skills, or ability I have to pick out and lead the music in our services. The only reason I don't mind it is because I like to do it so much. Sometimes I get carried away wih the message of the songs and end up preaching my way through them.

It is nice because 'psalms and hymns and spiritual songs' are part of what God has given us to build each other up.  Our singing ought always be directed toward God and be sung to edify each other, make melody in our own hearts, and be sung to honour or God.

I don’t know enough about music to offer up ideas or critiques of church music. I do know that singing is to be a part of our worship, that it should be done in such a way that we are building each other up, that it ought to create a melody in our hearts that is pleasing to us and to our God.

Don’t miss out on the blessing of taking part in singing in your church tomorrow.

I have included a link to an interesting article on church music I read yesterday.


No comments: