Saturday 9 August 2008

With thanksgiving

Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4v6-7


Over the years this has been a key passage for me. There are times that seem to lend themselves to care and concern. We never seem to get over these. Everything seems to be going fine, then news comes and circumstances change and with that change come cares and anxiety. It seems to just be part and parcel of life. I am grateful that God knows exactly when to give us His word.

One of these times a few years ago the Lord impressed this truth on my heart. The key to dealing with carefulness is to replace it with thankfulness. Even as I type this I am convicted about the last several days when cares have ruled in the place of thanks. When that happens I become virtually useless, but the problem is mine – not the situation.

Here is what God says – ‘Don’t be careful, but with thankfulness pray about everything. Then the peace of God, which you can’t even understand, will keep your hearts and minds through the power of Christ.’

Its time for me to replace my carefulness with thankfulness and let God’s peace replace my anxiety.

No comments: