Friday 22 August 2008

For the sake of the body

Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking what is lacking in the affliction of Christ for the sake of His body, which is the church: - Colossians 1v24


The word of God puts a lot of emphasis on the body of Christ and its importance. We often think about doing what we do for Christ, and that is true, we cannot minimise that. However, here Paul mentions another reason why he does what he goes through what he goes through and why he suffered what he suffered. Why else would Paul go through all of this? The answer is clear here – for the sake of Christ’s body, the church.

We would all at least claim that we would do anything for Christ. But I think we need to ask ourselves what we are willing to do for His body as well. His affliction, though it was because of His stand for Christ, was for the sake of His body. He was willing to suffer because his ministry of preaching and teaching was to build up the body. He would let nothing get in the way.

I would like to think that I would give up everything for Christ; I trust that if the occasion arose I would be able to do so. I have never given much thought though to give up everything for His body – I hope that I could say the same for it as I would for Him.

No comments: