Thursday 14 August 2008

I can do all things


I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4v12-13


I am ashamed to admit how often these words have crossed my mind and even, at times, escaped my lips, ‘I just can’t do it any more.’

Those are horrible words for the believer to think or say. When they have come in to my life it is because I have once again lost my focus. The problem is as obvious as it can be – indeed I can not do anything in God’s work. I can only do it through Christ who strengthens me. I am reminded of another passage that reads, ‘I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.’

In our Christian lives we are always going to come across things that we think we cannot handle. Sometimes, when stuff happens over and over again we selfishly think that we have had enough. Paul knew something that most of us miss. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Paul knew how to handle blessings and deprivations, he knew how to be full and hungry, and he knew how to handle good news and bad.

This is one of those faith statements. There are going to be times when we just don’t think we can do what God asks of us. There are times when our circumstances seem so difficult that we don’t think we can do any more. News is going to come that makes us question if we really can carry on. This where we must dig down for that ‘raw faith’ and choose to trust His word.

At the end of the day we can’t…in and of ourselves handle it. Yet praise God that I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!

No comments: