Friday 9 May 2008

You have put on Christ

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. - Galatians 3v26-27

The first division in the church was caused by the Circumcision Party who insisted that Christians keep the law. They still saw the church as a part of Judaism and to be a Jew, even a Jew “of The Way,” one must keep the law. On the other side we what we might call the “Grace Party,” mostly Gentile Christians who saw no need to keep the Law. Part of the division here was cultural as well as religious. Something had to be done to deal with this division.

Paul drives the point home here – anyone who has put their faith in Christ is a son of God – full stop. I will deal with more of that tomorrow. Today I want to focus on one phrase that shows the commonality of all true believers.

Paul says that anyone who has been baptised into Christ has put on Christ. What a picture for us to contemplate for just a moment. When I got saved I positionally put on Christ. When God sees me today, He sees me in Christ – full of His righteousness and truth. We are all the same; none of us is any more “in Christ” than any other. That position is secure.

Saying that, we still have a responsibility to “put on Christ” before others (Romans 13v14). This explains how salvation and works play out. I put on Christ in God’s eyes at salvation. There is nothing I can add to that. Before others, however, I have a responsibility to represent Christ. When they see Roger they need to see Jesus in me and me in Him.

It was ordained before the foundation that God’s people will do good works. Good works is not what we do to please God – it is just what we do.

No comments: