Tuesday 27 May 2008

God forbid that I should boast

But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. - Galatians 6v14

Galatians has been an amazing little book. One thing is as clear as it can be – the Law has no power over me. Everything related to the Law is tied to the flesh. Keeping the Law is impossible anyway.

If I could keep the Law, and if it were a part of Christian living than I would have plenty to brag about. I could keep everyone impressed with what a good Christian I am. There are those today who say that we are free from the “ceremonial law,” but we are still bound to the “moral law.” Even these “moral law keepers” can brag on how they are doing while condemning others. There is boasting about one’s own ability to “do something” to make one spiritual.

Paul says there is only one thing to boast about. “Me ginomai that I should ever boast,” Paul says, “except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.” May it never be, may it never come to pass, there is no way that I should boast in anything else. A literal English rendering of me ginomai does not reflect Paul’s strength of argument here so the translators have chosen a strong English term to reflect it – “God forbid!” they render this.

It is not about me and my great works. It is not about my ability to keep a list of rules and regulations to make God happy. It is all about the cross. It is only in the cross that I have any hope of making God happy with me.

God forbid, that I, Roger, should ever boast in anything but the cross.

No comments: