Wednesday 21 May 2008

In a spirit of gentleness

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. - Galatians 6v1

Once again I feel compelled to temper my words with a few comments. When I think of words to describe the associations I have had with individuals and churches since I have been saved some very positive ones come to mind: fervent in spirit, faithful, dedicated to the word of God, earnestly contending for the faith. I have seen true love and compassion as well.

However, there is an area where I think we often miss the boat. What happens when someone is overtaken in a trespass? Sometimes, if they are not well known, we simply ignore it; we just don’t want to deal with it. There is no attempt at restoration. That clearly misses the teaching of this passage.

On the other hand, if the personality is very public and well known, they is another kind of reaction. Attacks and condemnation come down like a tonne of bricks. A stumbling brother is too often kicked, beaten, and summarily dismissed. We can write him off without any attempt at reconciling. I have seen far to many men dismissed with a word or a look. We seem to be expert at shooting our own soldiers when they are down.

Galatians 6v1 really makes it clear. When a brother is overtaken in fault there are some principles to remember.

1. Restore him

2. Do so with a gentle spirit

3. Remember that the same thing could happen to us

I will admit that there is one word in there that I have not seen a whole lot of, especially in my own life. I can only think of a very few men in the movement that I have been associated with that could be described as “gentle.” Gentleness is a trait that I have been trying to work on for the last few years – it does not come to me naturally.

Gentleness; what a wonderful word. Yet, it is a title that most men shy away from. When it comes to erring brethren – in fact in every day and every way, may we learn to be “gentle-men” and “gentle-women” as we live for and serve Him.

No comments: