Friday 2 May 2008

Solo fide, solo Christo

“knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.” - Galatians 2v16

I know that is “old hat” to most of us. I know that this is nothing new, deep, or profound in many ways. But is a truth that I am so grateful for that I can’t just pass it over.

You see, I know me. I know that even with all of God’s grace on me and me as His precious child I still fail Him. Even with Christ in me – I fail. I battle my flesh every single day and far too often the flesh wins. As I look over the law, or any set of requirements I know that if I had to keep the law I would certainly be doomed to hell. Not a day passes where I do not fail Him.

Look at the emphasis in this verse alone – “not justified by the works….by faith in Jesus…we have believed in Christ…justified by faith in Christ…not by works of the law…by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.”

Paul could not make it any clearer. Every time I stop to consider this I am overwhelmed. By faith alone, through Christ alone, to God alone – be the glory.

1 comment:

Candi said...

I'm so thankful for Christ's work - only through Him can we do or be anything resembling "good."