Saturday 3 May 2008

Christ lives in me

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. - Galatians 2v20

Here is one of those tidbits that says more than we can possibly comprehend. There is a lot of discussion about this passage today and about what it means to have Christ living on me. I don’t really want to get into all that discussion today, and because these are my reflections, I am not going to.

The pure and simple truth is that somehow, in a way far beyond my ken, Christ is alive and living in me. When I got saved I was crucified with Him. Somehow, at that moment Christ came to live in me. According to the verse above, I still am living my life, but I am now doing by faith in Christ, the one who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Anyway, the amazing fact is that I don’t have to live this Christian life alone. We all go through times when it seems like it is overwhelming. The struggles get so tough that we can’t seem to get through them. Maybe we have some sin that is a constant struggle for us.

I think sometimes that the problem with have living the Christian life is that we think we have to live it on our own. We get up every day, and we think that it is really up to us. We struggle all day long, because we honestly think that we can “do it.”

My flesh will fail me. It will fail me today. It will fail me tomorrow. It will fail me every time I try to depend on it. My flesh is the campground for sin, so it only makes sense that living in the flesh will always result in sin.

But there is Christ. Christ living in me. As I go through today I will have plenty of choices to make. Will I allow my flesh to control, or will I depend on Christ living in me?

No comments: