Monday 18 February 2008

Woe is me if I don’t preach the gospel

Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel. But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! – 1 Corinthians 9v14-16

Today’s thought is primarily focused in one direction. Apparently, as part of their carnality, the church there was neglecting to care for their pastors. Paul makes the point that by all rights they should expect financial support from the church there for the work they had done. Instead they had foregone that for the cause of Christ.

How do we apply this? One thing is clear, those who are ministered to have a clear responsibility to provide for those who minister. There is simply no way around that. When someone ministers to us spiritually we have a responsibility to serve them physically. Full stop – end of story.

But, what if we are ministering and people are not meeting our physical needs? Does that mean we can quit? Does that mean we stop serving? As Paul puts it – “It would be better for me to DIE that then for anyone to be able to say I stopped preaching because of the money” and, “Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.”

No comments: