Wednesday 6 February 2008

Under rowers

Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ… – 1 Corinthians 4v1

Sometimes as I do these thoughts I can read many verses, or even several chapters. Today as I read I only got a few words before I saw a note in my study Bible (MacArthur) about the word for servant (minister in the KJV) in 1 Corinthians 4v1. I am used to the word being either doulos or diakanos (if I got those Greek spellings wrong, please forgive me). Here however the word is huperetes. This is a really interesting word. Although often used to mean any subordinate or anyone who takes orders, the word literally refers to an “under rower.”

What does that mean? Picture in your mind those massive Greek, Roman, or Phoenician ships you have seen pictures of or seen in a film. Picture the ones that two rowers of those huge oars sticking out the side. Now, go inside the ship and go way down into the bowels to see the bottom row of rowers. See them in the darkness and dampness, chained together, tediously rowing hour after hour and day after day. I hope I am not taking language liberties with a language I know very little about, but I do know that the Holy Spirit chose just the words He wanted when He inspired Paul to write this passage.

I also think it fits the context of 1 Corinthians. Paul has been talking about how we are all the same. There is no difference in those who serve the Lord anyway. We are all nobodies. There is no room for bragging or boasting. Saying that, I think the word “under rower” is the perfect picture of what we are. The under rowers were never recognised as servants. No one ever looked down there and said, “Look, there are Rome’s choice servants.” None of them crawled into their space on the ship with a sense of servanthood when they finally got to rest. They just rowed, hour after hour, day after day, sunshine or storm, calm seas or rough. They just rowed.

Why did the Holy Spirit choose this word? I can’t question His wisdom. I do know that it gave me a new perspective on what it means to be a servant.

I am content to be an “under rower”?

No comments: