Sunday 10 February 2008

I warn you

I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you. – 1 Corinthians 4v14

As I read Paul’s words to Corinth I find them sounding almost harsh at times. He has corrected, cajoled, and even used sarcasm to get his point across. And yet, he pauses to remind them of his love for them.

He reminds them that no one could love them like he does. Even if they had massive numbers of teachers no one could care like he did. He was their spiritual father and it would have been unloving not to warn them about the direction they were taking.

True, caring, biblical love does not make light of sin. It does not excuse sin in the spirit of love.

Paul loved this people like his children. He loved them enough to point out where they erred.

As a pastor I desire a love that allows me to rebuke and reprove, but to always do it in a spirit of love.

No comments: