Thursday 7 February 2008

Found faithful

Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. – 1 Corinthians 4v1-2

Yesterday we examined the idea of an under rower as one who just keeps on rowing, staying at his task without any recognition or prise. Later in the same verse we find that we are also to be “stewards.” A steward of course is one who is giving the responsibility to watch over and care for something. God has given us a stewardship of His household on earth. We are the stewards of His work. According to this passage there is one key attribute required of a steward – he must simply be faithful.

This is an old topic, something we have heard over and over, usually when some pastor or missionary is struggling along and those who love him remind him that all God requires is faithfulness. Familiarity in this case however does not make it any less true.

Not only pastors, missionaries, and other “Christian workers” are required to be faithful to the Lord. Every single one of us has our own stewardship, our own place and our own role in the kingdom of God.

The question should not be so much, “Is so and so missionary faithful” on his field of service, but am I faithful where God has put me. Am I faithful to the Lord with my classmates? Am I faithful at the office? An I faithful at home with my spouse and children?

All God requires is faithfulness, but I have to wonder how often I even meet that requirement.

No comments: