Wednesday 20 February 2008

Lest I be disqualified

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. – 1 Corinthians 9v27

It is interesting to note that people have always enjoyed sports and athletics. When Paul wrote to Corinth they would have been familiar with two major sporting events, the Olympics and the Isthmian games. Paul uses two familiar events here, racing and boxing.

Runners run a race to win a prize. Boxers don’t just shadow box; they have opponents in all of these events. A sport would not be much fun if the other side never showed up. Sports, in order to be sports, have to have competition.

Sports also have rules. Those who break the rules are disqualified from the event. If an athlete does not learn to discipline his body and train properly he will not be qualified for the event. He will end up, in modern terms, sitting on the bench.

Paul has a clear and specific warning here. The context here is still sexual sins. That is the opponent in the boxing ring or on the racecourse. Paul said, “I bring my body into subjection.” Literally, “I punch myself in the eye.” Discipline is tough. It hurts. No pain no gain. Disciplining ourselves for purity is not going to be easy. The spiritual coach potato will just let it come and take it in. The athlete will discipline himself so he is ready for the opponent.

How clear the warning in verse 27. I must discipline body. I must bring it into subjection. I must not let my flesh be my master. If my flesh is my master I am disqualified. I have had plenty of warnings. Far too many men have been so busy in their ministries that they did not take the time or effort to bring their flesh into subjection and have had to sit on the bench.

Praise God for His healing and restorative power. Forgiveness with God is there for the asking, but in most cases these men are never able to restore their ministry due to a soiled reputation or an inability to forgive themselves.

By God’s grace, I must keep by body in subjection, not be its subject.

6 comments:

Parrowdigm said...

Thanks for the comments. Just wondering where the context of only sexual sins comes from?

I ask because it says that we must be temperate in all things. The problem with assigning this passage only the sexual means that people who have never hurt a few people by their adultery can destroy others with gossip and backbiting and never be challenged.

As I look over the preceding verses I don't see mention of sexual sins (although I have really only heard this passage mentioned in that context).

I'm just trying to foster a little discussion on the topic, not meaning offence.

Naas Preacher said...

Thanks for the input. I suppose my thought here is that Paul specifically addresses "my body" and since Paul had been focusing so much on the sexual sin early that my mind just made that connection.

Perhaps you are correct, but even if this verse is specifically addressing sexual sin the other offences you mention are covered in other passages.

And even if I am correct, there is a clear principle of keeping our flesh under control in all areas so that we are not disqualified.

Thanks again for the input.

Naas Preacher said...

Just a side note, that makes me think you may be right.

I had never heard this preached specifically on sexual sin. Since I "came up with on my own" you are probably correct :).

Parrowdigm said...

Like I said, I'm not sure myself. Your point about the 'body' is well taken. No doubt sexual temptation is huge in this considerations, I just don't want us to fall into a trap of thinking that sexual sin is either worse than others or is the only sin that can make a believer 'disapproved'.

Naas Preacher said...

No problems friend. I guess since these reflections are merely personal reflections I tend to focus on those areas on those areas that are, well, personal.

I agree 100%. Sin is sin - full stop. It may be though that God does use specific places in His word to deal with specific problems.

Wish we could get more input into these things ;).

Scott Bandy said...

I have always taken this passage to be a broad view of any sin. I think it entails sexual sin but also gossip and backbiting are sins that come form the work of our "bodies." Really good discussion on this one. Thanks for the challenge