Sunday 7 January 2007

Wait on your God continually

“Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually.” - Hosea 12v6

Reading Hosea 11 and the first part of chapter 12 gives us a real picture of the heart of God in relation to judgement.

“How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.” It is obvious that God does not cherish judgement. He must judge because He His holy and perfect. In order to avert God’s judgement Israel has some simple instructions:

  • Turn to God
  • Show mercy and judgement
  • Wait on God continually

God does not require sacrifice and burnt offerings for a right relationship. All He wants if for people to turn to Him, prove it by acting in mercy and judgement, and waiting in the Lord. This is a great example of His love and compassion. Yes, God is Holy. Yes, His must judge sin, but He has a heart of compassion, and to put it words we understand, it breaks His heart to have to carry out judgement.

No comments: