Friday 26 January 2007

The men feared the Lord

“Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.” - Jonah 1v16

The last time I read through Jonah I got really upset with him. I remember using the word “scoundrel” to describe him. I think now that I might have been a little hasty in my judgement.

In Jonah 1v9, Jonah boldly admitted that he knew the Lord, Jehovah. After he convinced the sailors that judgement was coming on them because of his own sin he had to then convince them to throw him out of the boat.

When the sea had calmed they knew that Jonah had told them the truth. As a result they too turned to the true God and feared and worshipped Him. In essence, Jonah told the men enough about His God that they got “saved.”

In spite of his error in trying to run from God he could not deny what was real to him – he had to tell these men about the Lord.

It is exciting to see that even in our times of weakness God can STILL use us!

No comments: