Friday 5 January 2007

I taught Ephraim to walk

“I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them. I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them. He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.” - Hosea 11v3-5

I doubt there is any picture as precious as a parent teaching a child to walk, drawing them in love, and stooping down to feed them. Here in Hosea the picture is almost heart breaking. God did all of this for Israel, but the refused to stay faithful to Him.

There is a precious principle here though. We get just a glimpse of how God treats His children. As Christians we have been adopted into His family. He talks about His tender care for us in the New Testament, but this is a beautiful picture. He tenderly teaches us the walk in Him, and lovingly feeds us with His word. Lets me sure that we don’t reject it as Ephraim did.

No comments: