Wednesday 25 May 2005

Obeying God

“..and he [God] said to Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And He said, Take now they son, thine only son, whom thou lovest ... and sacrifice him ... and Abraham rose up early and saddled his ass... Genesis 22v1-3

Surely Abraham must have felt like the situation with Isaac was done and settled. Isaac was at last twenty years old by now. Things seem to be going alone fine when God calls out to Abraham again.

Look how Abraham responded. When God calls him he simply says, “Here I am.” What a wonderful, ready response to the call of God. It reminds me of Isaiah and, “Here am I Lord, send me.”

God's instructions must have caught Abraham off guard. Take your only son, whom you love so much, and sacrifice him! Wow – what a shock. I wonder how I would have responded. I don't like the fact that my children are not around me and that as we get older chances are that we will not see them near as much as they like, but Abraham is told to sacrifice his only son!

Abraham was not rattled. Early the next morning he saddles up and heads out. He proved his obedience and his faith by his action. True obedience always results in action. It is one thing to obey in our minds, but obedience is cared out when we act.

What wonderful faith Abraham showed by his actions. Lord, help us to trust you enough that when you call we say, “Here I am!” Then help us to move no matter how difficult the task laid before us may seem. Knowing that our faith is proven by our actions.

No comments: