Tuesday 31 May 2005

Being in the Way

O Lord God of my master Abraham, pray thee, spend me good speed today ... Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute of my master of His mercy and His truth: I, being in the way, the Lord led me.” - Genesis 24v12, 27


What a task Eliezer had laid out before him. What a man Eliezer was. If no son had come along Eliezer would have been adopted as the heir. In his flesh centred days Abraham had even considered this back in Genesis 15. Now he is being called on to go back and find a wife for Abraham's son and heir.


Some have called Eliezer our model servant, and in many ways he does illustrate how we should serve the Lord. As soon as Eliezer arrived in the land he stopped and prayed. It is human tenancy to make prayer something of a “last resort.” Eliezer had it right, the very first thing he did was to pray and seek the Lord's blessing on his mission. His prayer is interesting in itself. He prayed, “Lord, give me 'God speed' this day.” Literally, he asks God to properly bring about the suitable appointment. Then he asked God for very clear direction to show his leadership. He knew from the very start of the task that he would only be a success if he followed God's leadership.


The Lord answered Eliezer's prayer and showed him clearly that Rebekah would be the wife for Isaac. When it all fell into place Eliezer said this, “I, being in the way, the Lord led me.” “Being in the way” has a different connotation today than it did when this translation was done. In essence Eliezer said, “I was already on the right track, and the Lord led me.”


Note a couple of things about being a servant that we can take to heart.


Eliezer was trustworthy, he had all of Abraham's good at his command.

He had a reliance on prayer.

He followed his master's command.

He was in the place that God could use him.


May we be, in this sense, “in the way” today so that the Lord can lead us.

No comments: