Monday 30 May 2005

Don't take my son back there!

But Abraham said to him, 'Beware that you do not take my son back there' ... 'only do not take my son back there'...” - Genesis 24v6,8 NKJV


The time has come for Isaac to take a wife. Knowing that God did not want him to marry into the paganism of Canaan, Abraham prepares to send a servant back “home” to find a wife. The servant ask the obvious question, “What if she won't come? Should I take Isaac back there to her?”


Abraham's reply leaves not doubts, “Beware that you do not take my son back there!” and a couple of verse later, “Only do not take my son back there!”


Why such a strong response? Why was he so dogmatic? The answer is in between the two comments. Abraham said that God had taken him out of that land and put him in the new land, promising to give it to him.


In following God there is “no turning back” Part of the song goes, “I have decided to follow Jesus ... no turning back.” Jesus said in Luke 9v62, “...no man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back is fit for the kingdom of God.” If we want to be disciple we are told to take up our cross and follow Him.


From all of this I think there is a very clear lesson. Following God is a one way decision. There is no going back to the old way of life. When God leads and directs us to a specific service for Him we need to be very careful before quitting before the task is done.


Abraham would not hear of “going back home” to his family for God had directed him otherwise. May we not look back after putting our hand to the plough!

No comments: