Tuesday 10 May 2005

Love in a rainbow

“I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a token of a covenant between me and the earth.” – Genesis 9v13

I am grateful for all of creation. I love all times of terrain. I love to see the seasons change. In this country we have all kinds of beauty. Because of the mixture of rain and sun we get to see rainbows on a regular basis. We even have driven into the very base of a rainbows a couple of times. It is an eerie feeling to see the mixture of colours in the air all around you, almost mystical. (Sadly, there was no pot of gold there, maybe it was as the other end.) We’ve seen many double rainbows, a few triple rainbows, and even a quadruple rainbow.

We all know that rainbows have a perfectly logical scientific explanation, but they are so more than just a natural phenomena. God meant them for a purpose as He tells us here. They are a sign of a promise that God made to man.

We can read over that and miss something of vital importance. God makes promises to men!! The eternal, perfect, holy, omnipotent God made, in this case, an unconditional promise to sinful man. He would never again destroy the earth with water. In it itself that is a great promise, but the very fact that God would make a promise is astounding in itself!

Why would an all-powerful God make a promise to man. The answer is simple – out of His live for us. We deserve nothing from God, but because He loves us He chooses to make promises to us. In this case he chose to remind us of that love with a wonderful token – the rainbow! Next time you have the joy of seeing a rainbow remember it as a token of God’s love for us!

In fact, all of God’s creation should remind us of His love. Look at these words from “The Valley of Vision.”

“When I feel the warmth of the sun may I praise the who art the Sun of righteousness with healing power.
When I feel the tender rain may I think of the gospel showers that water my soul.
When I walk by the riverside may I praise thee for the stream that makes the eternal city glad, and washes white the robes that I may have the right to the tree of life.”

Thank you Father, for the token of your covenant!

No comments: