Saturday 21 May 2005

I Know Abraham

For I know him [Abraham], that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord. To do justice and judgement...” Genesis 18v19

Here we are privy to God “deciding” (for lack of a better word) on whether or not He should tell Abraham about the coming destruction of Sodom. Then we read some challenging words for us. “For I know Abraham,” God says, “that he will command his children ... they shall keep the way of the Lord ...”

“I know Abraham.” What does that say to us? We know from the wonderful words of Psalm 139 that we can take great comfort in the fact that God knows all about us. Yet, in this case we find another great truth.

Basically, God knew that He could trust Abraham. God knew that Abraham was going to do the right thing. He knew that Abraham could be trusted with His words. God knew that He could take Abraham into His confidence.

I must ask myself today, “what does God know about me?” Can God trust me to do the right thing in every situation. Does God know that He can trust me to “keep the way of the Lord” myself? Does He know that He can trust me to teach my children to do the same?

May we strive, with God's help, to be the kind of Christian that God knows He can always trust to do the right thing.

No comments: