Monday 23 November 2020

Our unshakable kingdom

 

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire. - Hebrews 12:28-29

 

This verse came to me at a very needed time last week. I was fed up. I had had enough. I had enough of Covid and missing church and the responses to Covid and politics here and in the States and frustration and a lot of other things. I told Mary that I simply has enough and I felt like doing nothing – I even didn’t feel like doing anything spiritual.

 

All I could do about it though was to seek an answer in God’s word. And here. Surely directed by the Holy Spirit came just the verse I needed.

 

Therefore, we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken. Everything else may be shaken and falling to pieces but our kingdom is unshakable.

 

Along with an unshakable kingdom we have the joy and God’s unending grace. The amazing grace that saves us also allows us to serve. It is by His grace alone that we have this unshakable kingdom. Now we have the right focus. Now we can stay in the race. Now we can serve His with an awe of His power and walking in the fear of the Lord. God is a consuming fire. One day He patience will yield to His holiness and His judgement. While we enter the unshakable kingdom, the world enters into judgement.

 

What more motivation could we have than to know that what we are doing is of eternal import while everything else is failing?

No comments: