Wednesday 1 January 2020

Filled

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, 
that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. – Ephesians 3.16-19

This is truly the perfect verse to start the year 2020. That date still sounds like it comes from a futuristic sci-fi novel, doesn’t it?

Anyway, we talk a lot about New Year resolutions. We all start with lofty goals like to eat better and lose weight and exercise more and read our Bibles through in the year and be better spouses and parents and grandparents. Churches set their goals for the new year. It is a time of looking forward to see how we can make the next 366 days better than the last.

That’s not a bad thing. I this verse though I find a goal that I would like to set for me and my family and my church – that we might all the filled with all the fullness of God.

As the year begins my needed to empty myself of selfishness and greed and worldly ambition. I need to empty myself of my own worldly lusts and desires. I need to make sure that I am vessel ready for the Spirit to fill me and allow me to be filled, instead of with Roger, but to be filled with all of the fullness of God. Am I ready and am I willing to allow God to take charge of my life in 2020 and to do the things He wants me to do.

How do I do this? I think it starts with David’s prayer ‘search me O God and know my heart today, try me and see if there be any wrecked away in me.’ We might also ‘may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight our Lord.’

Until we throw out the junk there will be no room for God to fill us with all His fullness.

No comments: