Tuesday 28 January 2020

Christlove


Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. – Ephesians 5.1-2

One clear aspect of being a follower of God is to walk in love. That’s fine, but the standard of love can be a challenge. How much love are we called to walk in?

Walk in love in the same way that Christ walk and gave Himself for us.

That kind of love is quite a test. I think we all strive to love each other and I think we can do a pretty good job, buy to walk in the kind of love with which Jesus loves us is a whole nother kettle of fish.

Christlove is a love that is willing to give our all. It is a willingness to ‘lay down our life’ for others. It is a ‘hold nothing back’ kind of love. Christlove is the true picture of agape love which is willing to give it all up for others.

Of all things that characterise our lives I wonder how often it is the love of Christ. When people see me do they think about the kind of loving man I am? Do they think ‘that Roger just loves everyone?’

Christlove has a major test. It led Jesus to lay down His life for us.

Who am I willing to die for? That is the real test, isn’t it? If I am willing to lay down my life I must surely be willing to lay down my whims and desires and my agenda for the sake of others.

I do we do when it comes to Christlove? Do our lives show that same sweetsmelling savour? 

No comments: