Thursday 8 November 2018

They could not be silent

So they called them and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than to God, you judge. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.” – Acts 4.18-20

Every time I read through the book of Acts I get convicted at my lack regular witness of Christ in my lives. I find myself fear man more than I fear God. I find myself loving the praise of men more that loving the praise. It is easy for me to just keep my mouth shut and go on my way.

When I read these things I have to wonder what makes me so different from these men. They were not spiritual superstars. They had their flaws. The battled the flesh. They didn’t always get it. They had doubts and fears. They didn’t always walk by faith. Sometimes they walked by sight.

But here I see a huge difference – they could not shut up about Jesus. They had to keep talking about Him. No matter how many times I read that I still wonder why I am not like that. Sure, I guess I could excuse myself by saying that they has actually seen the resurrected Christ, but isn’t that me walking my sight. Since I didn’t see it it gives me an excuse to be less fervent?

No comments: