Sunday 11 November 2018

Son of consolation

And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus - Acts 4.36

Joses Barnabas is not an unknown character of Scripture. Most people know that he was an early missionary who travelled with Paul on his early missionary journeys. We will learn a lot about him, but for now I just want to focus on his name.

Barnabas is a lovely name. The name means ‘son of consolation’ or ‘son of comfort.’ We are going to see that carried out. Here we see him showing his character by selling his goods and giving it all to the needy in the church.

Nearly every time, maybe every time, we see Barnabas he is comforting or consoling or encouraging some someone. He is going to pop up several more times in the book of Acts and his role never changes.

To me he is a blessing, an encouragement, and a challenge.  I wish I had the reputation of being an encourager. I want to be that kind of guy. I want to be the kind of guy that people feel better after they are around me.

I want to do better at being a Barnabas.

No comments: