Friday 9 November 2018

Give us boldness

Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, - Acts 4.29

All kinds of officials were making all kinds of threats against the disciples. They heard their threats over and over again. Most of us, including me, would probably have been cowed by their threats. We would have made all kinds of reason why we should just be less obvious and confrontational.

But these guys…these guys blow me away.

They heard the threats. They prayed that God would hear the threats.

And then they were ready to to go – ‘Lord, give us boldness to preach your word.’

There was no messing around with these guys. They were terrified I m sure. They felt incapable I am sure. They worried about their families I am sure.

But they also knew what had to be done. They had a message to preach and they didn’t know how much time they had. They had no boldness in themselves.

So they asked God to help and God delivered (see tomorrow). I know I have little boldness. I have mostly fear. I have mostly anxiety. I need the kind of boldness the disciples need it.

They got it and they used it.

What will I do when God answers my prayer and gives me that boldness.

No comments: