Thursday 14 June 2018

The mother of my Lord


And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy. Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord." – Luke 1.41-45

This family encounter between Mary and Elisabeth intrigues me. It doesn’t only involve these two women, but it involves their unborn children John and Jesus.

When Mary greeted Elisabeth John ‘leaped in her womb.’ Somehow John knew that the Lord was there and Elisabeth sensed it.

But look at her next words – ‘why am I so blessed that my Lord would come to me?’

Did you catch that? Elisabeth recognised the baby in the womb as her Lord! She put her faith in a Lord who had not even been born. She had decided to follow Jesus before He was even here.

We know what Jesus did. We know the whole story. We know what He taught, we know the works He wrought, we know the price He paid and for ransom He bought. We sing ‘I Have Decided to Follow Jesus,’ but have we really? Is He really the Lord of our lives?

Far too often our goals and ambitions and desires and wants and our flesh are the lords of our lives.

Elisabeth knew that the baby was her Lord, will we acknowledge the risen Saviour as ours?

No comments: