Wednesday 27 June 2018

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit


Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. – Luke 3.21-22

It took me a long time to understand how important the whole concept of the Trinity really is. I knew it, I believed it, I accepted that each had their role, but it was only a few years ago that I heard a series of messages that really made me think.

Here, at Jesus’ baptism we see hear the Father speak from heaven we see the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove, and we see Jesus in the river being baptised. The Father’s words are ‘this is my beloved Son in whom I am well please.’

The concept I had not considered before was that God, as a Tri-une God, is a God Who is in fellowship. (I hope I am not advocating a heresy in ignorance here. I am sure I will hear about if I am) The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are in perfect unity, but there are in some way their own, and here we see them in a fellowship that goes back before time.

If I am right, and fellowship is so important that God is a God in fellowship, shouldn’t we take fellowship important as well? The Bible is full of examples of unity and manifesting unity in fellowship. God fellowships with Himself, He desires fellowship with us, and He wants us to enjoy fellowship with each other.

No comments: