Friday 15 June 2018

Magnify the Lord

And Mary said: "My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name.  – Luke 1.46-49

Mary is pretty sharp for such a young woman. If she were here today we would probably refer to her as a girl. What she heard from the angel surely must have made her anxious at best. I would guess she was still terrified.

After her cousin Elisabeth approached her and honoured her Mary could have felt
proud. This was a much older cousin honouring her!

Watch where her focus goes – ‘My soul magnifies (exalts, lifts up) the Lord! I can rejoice in Him. He had chosen to use me despite my lowly status.’

And then – ‘He who is mighty has done great things for me!’

Her attitude is a challenge to us all. There is nothing in us that is worthy of being lifted up or magnified. All my best attempts fall too far short, every time. So let God be magnified in our lives for the great things that He has done for us. He is the mighty One. He is the holy One. He has gone great things for us. What else can we do but glorify Him?

No comments: