Wednesday 13 June 2018

According to your word


And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her. – Luke 1.38

Mary must have been overwhelmed after the angel’s pronouncement. There must have been a million thoughts running through her head. ‘What does this mean?’ ‘How am I going to do this?’ ‘What are my parents and friends going to think?’ What will Joseph say?’

She said ‘let it be according to your word. I am the servant of the Lord.’ Mary knew that the words the angel spoke were from God.

The woman amazes me. How would I respond to a similar call on my own life?

This kind of remind me of Jesus in the garden saying ‘Lord, if it is your will let this cup pass from me, but if not, let your will be done.’

We are not always going to find the road easy. We may have to do things we would rather not do. But we should always be willing to do what God says. We need to remember that we are servants of the ultimate Servant and then live our lives according to His word.

No comments: