Tuesday 1 May 2018

They fled


But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled." Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled. – Matthew 26.56

Eleven faithful disciples. One traitor.

But when push came to shove or the rubber hit the road or whatever phrase you want to use happened ‘all the disciples forsook Him and fled.’

Can you imagine that? After 3 ½ years of living and walking and sleeping and sweating and eating and working and joys and successes and disappointments and good times and bad the all forsook Him. Maybe it was the first time they really realised that Jesus was not coming to deliver them from the clutches of Rome. Maybe it was the first that they realised He really meant what He said.

So they ALL forsook Him and fled. All of them – they left Jesus alone to face to shame and indignity that would be His kangaroo court trial.

That sounds almost like it couldn’t really happen. Were they so fearful that they would not stand with Him?

It is easy to sit in criticism at this time and distance from the situation. I wonder though what you and I would have done had we been right there and right then and did not know what we know now. Would we have trusted Him and stayed by His side?

I wonder because recently I was at work and we were chatting at lunch. A couple of co-workers, friends of mine, were talking about religion and all its flaws. The conversation turned to Christianity and couple of comments were made that were not mean, but made light of Christ. Sadly, like the disciples, I let their words go unchallenged. The worst part is that these people know I am a Christian and I have witnessed to both of them. Any yet, for some reason, I sat there silently.

What would I have done if I had been there when Jesus was taken away? I don’t really know and that breaks my heart.  

No comments: