Thursday 3 May 2018

Service


And they stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him. When they had twisted a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand. And they bowed the knee before Him and mocked Him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head. And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified.  – Matthew 27.28-31

Stripped.
Mocked over and over.
A crown of thorns.
Beaten.
Crucified.

All for a man who had never hurt anyone.

Why would Jesus, the Son of God, God in flesh, the Sinless One submit to such abuse when He could have called 10,000 angels to stop it at any time?

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

All that abuse, all that shame, all that suffering happened because Jesus took the form of a servant and became obedient even to the point of His death on the cross. He did all of that – for me. It beggars belief, doesn’t it? I know me. I know I don’t deserve it.

But He went through it all for me.

So I have a hard time grasping why I have such a hard time when things go badly for me or people mistreat me or times get tough. I will never go through anything like what He went through.

And went I complain and I bemoan my misery and fall into pity party pit. I think that is why we read ‘do all things without murmuring or disputing.’

We have no room to complain about our service when we remember His service for us.

No comments: