Monday 21 May 2018

Help my unbelief


Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. – Mark 9.23-24

Belief is a tough thing. Just a few verses previous Jesus had said ‘Don’t be afraid, only believe’ and that is the key here. For us to get by in this life we need to not fear the future or our circumstances or whatever, all we need to do is believe what He said.

But that’s not always easy, is it? Sometimes it makes no sense. Sometimes we can’t believe even though we know we ought to. Sometimes our earthly vision overcomes our heavenly vision. Sometimes believing God just doesn’t seem to make sense.

When something seem impossible to us we think that it must just be impossible. If I can’t do it nobody can, right?

And yet there is a battle going on. I DO believe God. I DO believe what He says. I DO believe that He will keep His promises.

It is a battle I fight a lot over one issue. I do believe that God can sort this. I know I do, but Satan always brings up these niggling doubts. Can He REALLY do that? Does that sound familiar? Isn’t that what Satan asked Eve in the garden.

Because I am a human, living in the flesh, I still doubt. I can’t summon up an extra dose of belief. I can’t choose to trust and look at heavenly truths but I still need that extra faith. I still need to pray ‘help me where I don’t believe.’

This father was called on to believe that Jesus would heal his son. With tears in his eyes he said ‘Lord, I do believe, help my unbelief!’

That’s the attitude I need. I think it’s the attitude that we all need at times in our lives.

I do believe Lord. I do. Help with my unbelief Lord.

No comments: