Friday 8 September 2017

Garments of salvation

I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. – Isaiah 61.10

‘Clothes make the man’ some people say. I am not so sure that is true, but there is a measure where people often judge us by appearance. How I am clothed can say things about who I am.


Isaiah writes here about the joy that comes with salvation. ‘I will rejoice, my soul shall be joyful in my God’ and then he uses the great word picture that God has ‘dressed him with the garments of salvation’ and ‘covered him with the robe of righteousness’ and how he has been ‘decked out with ornaments.’

In just a couple of chapters we are going to read about what our righteousness is worth. We are told that it is no more than filthy, rotten, stinking rags. That is what we are clothed in apart from Christ, but more on that in a couple of days.

But once we come to Christ He changed our clothes to salvation and righteousness. When we stand before God He no longer sees our filthy rags but He sees the righteousness of Christ.


Praise God for my garments of salvation! 

No comments: