Sunday 17 September 2017

Changing gods

Has a nation changed its gods, Which are not gods? But My people have changed their Glory For what does not profit. – Jeremiah 2.11

This is a sad verse. God talks here about nations ‘changing their gods’ that are not gods. This is a statement that does not make a lot of sense to our ears today. I think the question is ‘do people really change their gods?’

The rest of the verse is what matters I think – ‘my people have changed their Glory for that which does not profit.’

That is so tragic. The first thing I think of is the church of Ephesus who had ‘left their first love.’ I also think of the prodigal son who had everything, but left it to go after that which does not profit. I think of Demas who turned back from Paul because he loved this present world.

Sadly God’s people drift from Him. Too often people trade God for junk that doesn’t really matter.

But there is hope. Over and over again, all though the Bible, Old and New Testament alike, God calls on people like this to return to Him. He hates to see them living for things that have no profit. His desire is that they come back to him and share in His glory.


Those who have changed sharing in God’s glory for worthless stuff need to return to God. He is there and He is waiting. 

No comments: