Sunday 6 December 2015

Your eyes have seen what God has done

And I commanded Joshua at that time, saying, Thine eyes have seen all that the LORD your God hath done unto these two kings: so shall the LORD do unto all the kingdoms whither thou passest. Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you. And I besought the LORD at that time, saying, O Lord GOD, thou hast begun to shew thy servant thy greatness, and thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works, and according to thy might? – Deuteronomy 3.21-24

I know that true faith does not require sight. In fact, I know that faith is defined as the ‘evidence of things not seen.’ True faith is not connected with sight.

But we are human. God knows that. So He blesses us with just a glimmer of sight to encourage us and help our weak faith. Job knew this. After all of his trials and after his dramatic encounter with God he said:

"I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. You asked, 'Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, 'I will question you, and you shall answer Me.' "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You.

Job, that great man of faith and patience, needed a visual reminder to build his faith. We are all growing in faith and long the way God graciously reminds us that He is true to His word by showing us what He is capable of doing.

God had proven Himself by showing them His greatness and His mighty hand at work. There is no other god who could do what our God had done.

God does the same for us. He doesn’t just ask us to believe. He shows us His mighty hand in our lives. He gives us something to build our faith on by showing us His works.


Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief. Thank God for the times He has helped by showing me His works. 

No comments: